29 December 2009

A Story

Julie hated December with a passion. All the birthday’s she had to deal with on top of each and every religious holiday family had decided to celebrate. She went broke every year buying gifts for everyone who expected one. Every year she hoped December would never roll around, every year much to her great disappointment it arrived with all the decorations.

“I really don’t want to put up decorations this year.” She muttered to herself as she walked head down, toward yet another store for yet another gift.

A bit of sparkle from the vacant lot she was passing caught her attention. Julie stopped suddenly, causing the woman behind her to crash into her. The woman swore at her, but Julie didn’t hear, she waved at the woman absently, her attention on the sparkling Christmas trees in front of her. The old man who sold the trees saw Julie looking and waved her over. Julie couldn’t help herself, walking over to the man muttering to herself about the hated December.

“Still need a tree, young lady?” The old man asked. Julie finally got a good look at him and nearly groaned out loud. He looked much, too much like the stereotypical Santa Claus.

“Not really. But I’m sure Momma will be ticked if I don’t get one and will never let me live it down. I can hear her now saying, ‘remember the year Julie didn’t get a tree or decorate?’ “

“She’s not that bad!” The old man chuckled, “I’m sure she just has your best interests at heart.”

Julie snorted, “You obviously don’t know my mother. Could you deliver a tree for me? I can’t carry it home with me, since I took the bus here.”

“Certainly, will be happy to have your tree delivered.”

“Thanks, would you have that one delivered tonight or tomorrow?” Julie pointed at a short, fat tree left near the side of the lot. “Here’s my contact information.”

Julie and the old man exchanged numbers and she continued on with her gift shopping chore. She completely missed the contemplative look the old man had on his face as he watched her walk down the street. “She needs something special delivered with her tree.”

Julie banged herself hard in the leg with the bags she carried home from her shopping trip. “Damn it all to hell” She groaned in pain. She struggled up the stairs to her apartment and dropped the bags in front of her door, so she could get her key’s from her purse to unlock the door. One of the bags landed on her toe with a thud. Julie cursed the holiday’s again, hopping a bit while she unlocked the door.

"Do you know which is apartment 2A?", said a smooth as molasses voice at the bottom of the stairs. 

Julie leaned her head against her door, hard. "Now what?" She grumbled under her breath.  Louder she replied. "Yeah it's my place."

"I found this tree down in the street, like it had fallen off a truck.  But it has delivery notes on it that has this address, It must be yours then?"

Julie sighed, nodded and turned to find the most shocking green eyes looking up at her. " I don't suppose you'd consider taking it?"  She leaned tiredly against her front door again, only to have it pop open on her, dumping her on the floor. Tears filled her eyes with exhaustion and she let her head fall to the floor with a loud thump.  She heard his feet running up the stairs, "Are you alright?" Floated up the stairs ahead of him.  She turned on her back, eyes closed, trying to control the tears.  "Yes, I'm fine."  She choked out.

No comments: